Monday, January 2, 2012

Holiday Crafts: Gift Wrapping, Cookies, and a Floral Centerpiece

I have taken forever to update this, but there was a lot of creativity to be had during the holidays. I was "employed" to be the family gift wrapper and, when I was not dying from being hunched over for so long, I was able to really get in there and have some fun.

You'd better appreciate this, Dad...

This was one of my favorite packages. I had a lot of small strips of ribbon that I had collected over the course of many Christmases, so I used them to create interesting bows.

There are some other designs that I would like to try in coming years that involve using a lot more uncut ribbon at once. But, I think this turned out well enough that maybe those who are used to throwing the piles of beautiful ribbon away, or who pass over it for the cheaper stuff, might consider picking up and saving or buying a bit in the future. It can be reused as long as you care to keep it and makes for the most beautiful packages, which may imply a lot more effort than you actually put forth!

Cookies and flowers after the cut!

In addition to gift wrapping, I made a few cookie trays as gifts. Unfortunately, I only took a picture of one, but, in my opinion, it turned out the best.

Cookies!!

This plate is made up of chocolate chip cookies, spritz cookies, and salted(!!!) peanut butter chocolate cookies with chocolate chips and peanuts inside. While I think this turned out looking very nice, it was not without difficulty. 

The spritz added the most color, but they cooked much faster than the recipe projected. As a result, I ended up with some having edges more brown than I would have liked. I also fought a bit with the press. But, they were still good and looked pretty next to the browns. The salted cookies were definitely my biggest adventure, and I searched all over the web for a recipe I liked. They were a request by one of the recipients of the tray and apparently went over well.

Finally, my last real project this Christmas was making a centerpiece for my dad's annual holiday party. I had no idea what I was doing, so I picked up some fake flowers, a foam base, and some cinnamon scented pine cones and sticks, and got to work...

So pretty...

Not bad for my first try, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment