Sunday, September 11, 2011

Something Old, Something New: Banana Cream Pie and Chocolate Roll

I did some baking recently so I am going to post pictures of both things at once. If there is any interest in recipes, I may add them later.

First, my attempt at a banana cream pie:


It wasn't so bad, but meringue is something I will be practicing with more in the future, as I haven't quite figured it out yet. Also, braiding pie crust is a pain, but it looks beautiful when you're done.

Next, an old classic for my family, a  chocolate roll... I am eternally grateful to my Austrian grandmother, who picked up this recipe somewhere on the way in life and has made them since as long as I can remember. I made this one half because of my birthday and half because I had some whipping cream that was going to be thrown out if it wasn't used. I don't think I have to convince anyone that it didn't go to waste:



That is and will probably remain one of my favorite desserts. It is so light... best holiday "cake" ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment